[OpenAFS-devel] AFS::Command status

Phillip Moore w.phillip.moore@gmail.com
Sat, 21 Jul 2012 09:31:43 -0400

Am I actively maintaining the module?   Not really....

Sadly, I have not had the opportunity to work with OpenAFS as much as
I would have liked over the last several years.   I did put a
significant effort into porting OpenEFS to work with OpenAFS, and got
about 90% of the work done.  That included modernizing the
AFS::Command code base to use perl5.10, exceptions, and Moose (the
"modern" Perl5 OO framework).

However, I made a few posts to openafs-devel and openafs-info asking
for feedback, and never got any.  I am aware that AFS::Command is in
use in a number of organizations, but noone using it showed any
interest in the new version.   I think I sent the pre-release to 2 or
3 people, and never even got feedback on whether or not it could be
installed.

I am currently in a consulting position where one of the conditions
for my employment was "no AFS" (I am not making this up, really -- I
was hired by ex-Morgan Stanley senior managers who were familiar with
the work I had done on AFS), and the firm I am consulting for can't
even manage NFSv3, so the possibility of using a better distributed
filesystem technology is pretty much a lost cause.  I do not
anticipate that I will have a chance to do serious professional work
with OpenAFS anytime soon, sadly.    I am actively searching for my
next consulting or employment gig now, and I the only OpenAFS-related
job I've seen posted that makes sense for me is at my old employer,
where I am no longer welcome.

I would be happy to hand this code over to someone else, if anyone
with the development skills to maintain a large perl suite is willing
to step forward.  The last team to own this code at Morgan Stanley
hoarded it, and didn't update the CPAN distribution, which was why I
took it over again (since I temporarily needed it -- OpenEFS is all
but dead, so it's pretty much a moot point).

It really should be owned by someone in the OpenAFS community who is
actually using it, and while I would love to be a part of that
community again, it's difficult to do so in your spare time.   If I
ever use OpenAFS again, professionally, then I will certainly be a
contributing member, but it seems unrealistic right now.