[OpenAFS-devel] Moving Forwards

Jeffrey Altman jaltman@your-file-system.com
Sun, 09 Sep 2012 10:42:01 -0400

--------------enig5A6188CA928205F66929CFA2

On 9/9/2012 9:39 AM, Jason Edgecombe wrote:
> I like the plan as well.
>=20
> I can help with RT stuff.=20

https://rt.central.org/rt/  is owned and operated by Jeffrey Hutzelman
and Chaskiel Grundman.  Please contact them directly to volunteer to
help manage their infrastructure.  The OpenAFS RT and mailing lists are
simply hosted on their site.

> I would like to mark most of the bugs as
> stalled or closed, because the 5 year old bugs should probably be close=
d.

There are plenty of 8 year old tickets that are completely valid.  They
represent ideas were never implemented, or real usability issues that
have never been addressed.

> Would having more account creators help? Should we let people
> self-register for RT?

OpenAFS RT and the wiki used to be much more open.   The reason they
were locked down years ago is because the quantity of spam and defacing
became overwhelming.  The wiki is now hosted on openafs.stanford.edu but
RT and the mailing lists are still hosted by central.org.

I think we would all like to see an easier mechanism of account creation
for RT but whatever mechanism is deployed must prevent fake accounts
from being created and must ensure that anonymous accounts cannot be
used to easily generate false tickets or deface existing ones.
What happens when the site becomes loaded with false tickets/comments is
that those who read every ticket that is submitted stop doing so.  In
addition, when bulk deleting spam it is often the case that valid
tickets get deleted as well.

Speak with Jeffrey and Chaskiel, find out what the options are and
whether they will permit you to implement them.  Then you can lead a
discussion here about how the mechanisms might work.

Jeffrey Altman