[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Please check Git version on OpenAFS build slaves

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Mon, 10 Sep 2012 11:15:15 -0500

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 10:31:27 -0400
Dave Botsch <botsch@cnf.cornell.edu> wrote:

> RHEL6 is distributed with git version 1.7.1 .
>
> If one can provide me with a quick explanation of what the missing
> options are supposed to do (and how they are useful), I can put in a
> RFE with RedHat via our support contract and see what they say.

The option in question is the -e option to 'git clean', which allows you
to add entries to the "ignore" list. What we want it for is to make 'git
clean -X' not delete a certain file.

If this becomes unresolvable for you, though, there are other ways to
work around this from the buildbot-side. Aside from what I said earlier,
it seems like we could hack around this a bit more with something like:

mv .buildbot.sourcedata $foo && git clean && mv $foo .buildbot.sourcedata

If we really need to.

> I'd prefer not to override git versions since that means no support
> from RedHat if something w.r.t. it or its support libraries breaks.

I don't think OpenAFS itself is too concerned with official support for
it. If you could install a local version that is just used by buildbot
or something, it sounds like that would be good enough for us and
shouldn't impact anything else.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net