[OpenAFS-devel] Request for build slaves

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Sun, 16 Sep 2012 10:55:14 -0400

Hi everyone,

I want to thank all of the people and organizations who have provided
buildbot build slaves. The list of builders at
http://buildbot.openafs.org:8010/waterfall is quite impressive.

We have some build slaves that have been down for months. I would like
fix, remove or replace these build slaves. Here is a list of the
builders and when they were last online:

slave name - last build
mac os x ppc - Feb 17
mac os x intel - Jul 1
solaris 9 - unknown (never built?)
fedora arm - Jun 2

If these build slaves are still down on Sept 29, I would like to remove
them from the build master configuration.

I find the lack of Mac OS X build slaves to be particularly troubling.
If you want to volunteer to host a build slave, please contact me.

Setting up and hosting a buildslave is not very difficult. It requires
the following resources:

Hardware requirements:
* A (virtual) machine running the desired platform and operating systems
* The development tools needed to compile OpenAFS
* A stable broadband (or better) internet connection. A slave will work
fine behind your typical consumer-grade router. No special network
configuration is needed. No ports need to be open to the outside world.
Plain old NAT works fine.

People requirements:
* set up the OS
* know how to install the developer tools
* know how to run command line tools to set up the build slave (I can
help with that)
* investigate things when the machine is down
* install new software tools as build requirements change.

Please contact me if you have any questions or are interested.

Sincerely,
Jason