[OpenAFS-devel] Request for build slaves

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Sun, 16 Sep 2012 17:50:07 -0400

On 09/16/2012 10:55 AM, Jason Edgecombe wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I want to thank all of the people and organizations who have provided
> buildbot build slaves. The list of builders at
> http://buildbot.openafs.org:8010/waterfall is quite impressive.
>
> We have some build slaves that have been down for months. I would like
> fix, remove or replace these build slaves. Here is a list of the
> builders and when they were last online:
>
> slave name - last build
> mac os x ppc - Feb 17
> mac os x intel - Jul 1
> solaris 9 - unknown (never built?)
> fedora arm - Jun 2
>
> If these build slaves are still down on Sept 29, I would like to
> remove them from the build master configuration.
>
> I find the lack of Mac OS X build slaves to be particularly troubling.
> If you want to volunteer to host a build slave, please contact me.
>
> Setting up and hosting a buildslave is not very difficult. It requires
> the following resources:
>
> Hardware requirements:
> * A (virtual) machine running the desired platform and operating systems
> * The development tools needed to compile OpenAFS
> * A stable broadband (or better) internet connection. A slave will
> work fine behind your typical consumer-grade router. No special
> network configuration is needed. No ports need to be open to the
> outside world. Plain old NAT works fine.
>
> People requirements:
> * set up the OS
> * know how to install the developer tools
> * know how to run command line tools to set up the build slave (I can
> help with that)
> * investigate things when the machine is down
> * install new software tools as build requirements change.
Dave Botch and Steve Jenkins have contacted me about hosting buildslaves.

Dave can possibly host Mac OS X and Solaris 9
Steven can possibly host Mac OS X or some other Intel-based VM

What Mac OS X platforms and OS X versions do we want to cover? I
suggested Lion or better, but I figured I should ask what the community
supports. Maybe we Steve and Dave should host different versions for
better coverage.

We're still in discussions, and nothing is agreed yet.

Thanks,
Jason