[OpenAFS-devel] Re: kabi-tracking kmods

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Wed, 26 Sep 2012 14:03:25 -0500

Based on my understanding, this is a business strategy of Red Hat
to get big customers, and third-party non-GPL software vendors to
get them to sign big money service and support contracts for RHEL.

OpenAFS falls into the 'third party non-GPL software' category.

It's completely clear to me why it doesn't work... that's because
subtle breakage of the 'stable' interface by anything linking into
the linux kernel is in the best interest of everyone who is employed
by Red Hat writing and patching the kernel. Red Hat employees will
say they are 'committed to providing stable interfaces' publicly,
and what you'll see in practice is something else entirely.

Kind of like the commitments I keep hearing about people make on
this mailing list.

We can either keep recompiling, pay big money, or use the Red Hat
developed kAFS.