[OpenAFS-devel] linux kafs (was kabi Tracking Mods)

Troy Benjegerdes hozer@hozed.org
Sat, 29 Sep 2012 23:17:42 -0500

> If Red Hat is a requirement, then what are the perceived obstacles to
> making the in-kernel kafs module do all the filesystem stuff, and all
> OpenAFS packages need to do is provide userspace tools?

FYI, I have a qemu image working now that boots a kernel and initrd, and
then mounts the root filesystem from AFS.

It boots with both the OpenAFS.ko module, and with the kafs.ko module.
Last time I tried this (several years ago) kafs would kernel panic, so
I think there's been improvement.

What do scientific linux users need to make this usable? Just a way to
get tokens and set ACLs?

The only other thing I can think of is the full 'fs' command, and this
could be solved by either adding a magic-file based pioctl interface, or
some sort of dirty hack involving linking libuafs and making the 'fs' command
a full-fledged AFS client that doesn't need anything from the host system
other than a path and a UDP connection to the AFS server(s)

One of the features of the kafs client is every volume shows up in
/proc/mounts, along with the quota of the volume.