[OpenAFS-devel] Re: pthreading the bosserver

Chas Williams (CONTRACTOR) chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Thu, 08 Aug 2013 18:46:13 -0400

In message <20130808153007.65523b12.adeason@sinenomine.net>,Andrew Deason writes:
>I mean, regardless of what solution we end up with, how much testing is
>anyone really going to do for bozo on LINUX24? We're just going to end
>up with something that theoretically works but we're not very confident
>has solved various possible race conditions or whatnot. If we want to
>keep LINUX24 for this, we should at least put a big warning on it that
>mentions something involving the relevant issues.

Since people seemed to think it was important the bosserver run correctly
on LINUX24 kernels (i.e. LinuxThreads) I did make an install of Centos
4.<whatever> and tested briefly against that.  I only built the bosserver
bits I needed though and used some simply dummy programs to simulate
the the server processes.

>That doesn't deal with any signalling specifics, but keep in mind our
>current bozo signal handling is not always great, and does not
>necessarily need to be fixed at the same time. I've always seen bozo
>misidentify core dumps, which I thought was due to this, but I've never
>really cared.

Yes, that is fairly annoying but then again it happens kind of rarely.