[OpenAFS-devel] prdb format extension for extended authentication names

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Wed, 19 Jun 2013 15:52:50 -0400

On Thu, 2013-05-30 at 11:39 -0400, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
> Also, jhutz
> has just about convinced me that it is irresponsible to use the last spare
> field for a specific extension (as opposed to a general extensible
> structure), even if we think that a full format revision is coming "soon",
> so that sould be added to the design considerations list.

A format revision of that type isn't coming "soon" until it actually
appears.  We've talked about it for years, but nothing has ever actually
been done.  I don't foresee it happening soon, for the same reason
you're not -- there's no one feature for which it's worthwhile to do a
major bump, especially if backward compatibility is an issue.

-- Jeff