[OpenAFS-devel] Re: slave suggestions for buildslaves?

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 20 Jun 2013 12:25:52 -0500

On Wed, 19 Jun 2013 21:15:36 -0400
Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> wrote:

> Jeff Hutzelman is offering a few x86_64 boxes as build slaves and
> possibly a sparc box for solaris 10.  Currently, the longest
> gerrit-triggered slave is solaris 10/11 at 26 minutes. Most of the
> gerrit slaves take 15-24 minutes.

The Solaris 11 buildslave looks like it's usually around 20 minutes to
me. It looks like the slowest ones are the Solaris 10 slave, the
opensuse 12 i386 one, and the debian i386 one sometimes. That least one
I assume varies a lot because I think it's the same machine that runs
the buildbot infrastructure? Maybe we should move the builder off of
that to a dedicated machine?

> Are we missing any coverage for operating systems? Where would these
> slaves do the most good? I'm asking the list, because you're the ones
> who spend the most time waiting on the slaves. I know that the
> buildbot slaves get backed up when a new release is being pushed out.
> How can we best use these? Is there some other use that we should
> consider?

I think more slaves should be used for either:

 - Solaris sparc platforms
 - More platforms where libkrb5 is heimdal in a non-standard location,
   or other "weird" things you can think of
 - Adding more slaves for the "slow" platforms above, so buildbot
   assigns build jobs to them round-robin (I forget the actual buildbot
   terminology for this)

That's not in order of preference; in my opinion just pick one and go
with it. (Well, obviously the first one is only for sparc, but the
latter two could be anything.)

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net