[OpenAFS-devel] Re: slave suggestions for buildslaves?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Thu, 20 Jun 2013 14:47:25 -0400

On Thu, 2013-06-20 at 12:25 -0500, Andrew Deason wrote:

> I think more slaves should be used for either:
>
>  - Solaris sparc platforms
>  - More platforms where libkrb5 is heimdal in a non-standard location,
>    or other "weird" things you can think of
>  - Adding more slaves for the "slow" platforms above, so buildbot
>    assigns build jobs to them round-robin (I forget the actual buildbot
>    terminology for this)

Well, these are not mutually exclusive.  If I can spin up a SPARC, it
would certainly go to one of the SPARC platforms.  It won't help with
the slow x86 platforms, and neither will the other machines people have
mentioned here.

How easy is it to add and remove machines?
How easy is it to set up the buildbot to round-robin jobs among
equivalent machines?

It seems like we could get more cycles if it were easy for people like
me to say "here's a few machines, go use them", knowing we could just as
easily pull them out of the pool and toss other ones in later.

-- Jeff