[OpenAFS-devel] debian-linux-i386-builder issues

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Thu, 5 Sep 2013 08:43:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013, Christof Hanke wrote:

> Hi all, Jason,
>
> Apparently the buildbot now verifies a patch in two batches.
>
> However, the debian-linux-i386-builder is in both batches, but in the second one
> it fails with :
>
> Including ./rxkad.p.h at beginning of rxkad.h file.
> /usr/bin/install -c -m 644  /home/buildslave/buildbot/slave/openafs/full/build/include/rx/rxkad.h
> /usr/bin/install: missing destination file operand after `/home/buildslave/buildbot/slave/openafs/full/build/include/rx/rxkad.h'
> Try `/usr/bin/install --help' for more information.

I thought I had commented about this failure somewhere already, but don't
see it in my mail logs.

The most straightforward assignment is as a make bug, since the $?
(out-of-date) variable is expanding to the empty set.  If there are no
dependencies that are out-of-date and the target is not marked with .PHONY
or similar, then the rule for the target should not be running.  The
simple workaround would be to replace $? with an explicit 'rxkad.h' (and
presumably the other similar rules as well).  There is some reason to
think that this is advisable in general, as I seem to recall some case in
the FreeBSD build where the make implementation added some internal
dependencies, and one of the special make variables expanded to have more
than just the one value we were expecting.

-Ben