[OpenAFS-devel] Re: debian-linux-i386-builder issues

Andrew Deason adeason@sinenomine.net
Thu, 5 Sep 2013 10:44:14 -0500

On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 17:22:41 +0200 (CEST)
Harald Barth <haba@kth.se> wrote:

> It's actually a shame that the dependencies and rules in the makefile
> are not good enough so that we are forced to first clean the tree and
> then build 99% again (mostly exactly as the previous run) besides the
> few files which actually were touched by the latest patch. Waste of
> CPU cycles, isn't it?

Doing anything else seems too risky. Even if all of the deps and the
build system in general were bug-free and flawless right now, if it ever
gains a bug in the future, using incremental builds like that could
yield practically unreproducible failures, or incorrect reports of
success (if we skipped building part of the tree).

And not to mention that we're re-running configure each time and
regenerating Makefiles in case any of those change. Outside of buildbot
that's an unusual situation for the build system to handle, so it makes
the builds in buildbot differ quite a bit from how the tree actually
gets built in the real world.

--
Andrew Deason
adeason@sinenomine.net