[OpenAFS-devel] developer takeaways from EAKC 2014

Michael Meffie mmeffie@sinenomine.net
Mon, 31 Mar 2014 14:50:21 -0400

Thank you very much for these notes.

> A few of us started looking at some linux panics due to stack overflow
> (e.g., RT 131831) during one of the sessions.  We have a number of
> routines that use more stack than they ought to.  Chas posted a script to
> look at a build tree and pull out stack usage for the various functions,
> to gerrit 10881.  I came away with the impression that Mike was going to
> do some more work and submit patches to remove some more stack usage;
> Mike, can you confirm this?

Yes, specifically, I'm looking for places vrequests are on the stack
and moving those to be on the heap. Then, I'll take a look at the functions
we define as static and see if I can force those to stay out of line.

> There are probably more things that didn't make it into my notes.  If you
> remember any, please chime in.

Perhaps it was in a hallway conversation, but I also remember something
about our lack of doxygen comments. I pushed a patch to gerrit with
a doxygen configuration and a makefile target to build the doxygen
output.  That will make it easier for me, at least, to see the generated
output and make improvements over time.

It was an excellent conference. Thank you to everyone that ran it
and participated.

Best regards,
Mike

--