[OpenAFS-devel] open issues for an openafs 1.8 branch

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Wed, 1 Oct 2014 00:27:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Sep 2014, chas williams - CONTRACTOR wrote:
> >
> > I don't see the reason for --disable-gtx.  --disable-uss
> > apparently exists because of symbol leakage/pollution.  The right
> > configure test would be to automatically detect this and just disable
> > uss building. The other right way is to fix the leakage.  --disable-uss
> > was easier to write of course and did get the job done.  Perhaps it is
> > time to split off some of the less popular OpenAFS utilities into their
> > own branch.
>
> I'll see if I can take a look at the leakage.

Okay, so as far as I can tell from what's in gerrit, there are cases where
heimdal static libraries expose things like yyparse() and yylex(), which
would conflict at link time when building the bison/flex products used by
uss.

Looking at the heimdal sources, it seems that these tools are still used,
and there hasn't been an active effort to rename such symbols since 2008
(for hx509).  I didn't do a super-thorough check, though.

But, I don't see any of these symbols in the libraries on my FreeBSD
system; only the namespace-d ones in hx509.  So, I'm not really sure what
sorts of systems the issue was seen on.

In any case, we could probably put some bits in a header to #define our
generated routines into a different namespace.

-Ben