[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Compiling openafs on arm64/aarch64 architecture

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Wed, 3 Sep 2014 18:18:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 3 Sep 2014, Micheal Waltz wrote:

> On 09/03/14 14:45, Andrew Deason wrote:
>
> > It seems like maybe aarch64 should be its own sysname, though, from what
> > I've seen here? Since it doesn't define __arm__ when compiling,
> > apparently, and it has its own gnu toolchain triplet component. Do you
> > (or others) agree? Should it be arm64_linux26, aarch64_linux26,
> > armv8a_linux26, or something else?
>
> I would like to see aarch64/arm64 at least as it's own sysname. From what I've
> experienced with using armv6 (raspberrypi) and armv7 (ifc6410), they both have
> the arm_linux26 sysname, but binaries can be incompatible. If for whatever
> reason we need to use armv6, armv7, and armv8 binaries in the same AFS cell we
> would have all sorts of @sys issues.
>
> This is further confusing since ARM uses aarch64, but Debian/Ubuntu/Linux
> Kernel uses arm64.
>
> My vote is for arm64_linux26 since it's more recognizable, is the same name as
> the arch in the Linux kernel, and stays with the AFS convention of having
> arm_linux26 for 32-bit and arm64_linux26 for 64-bit.

FreeBSD is also using arm64.  As supporting evicence, I note that we still
use amd64 and not "Intel 64" or "x86_64".

I should note that at MIT, we use things like amd64_ubuntu1404 -- you can
set values for the @sys expansion at runtime using "fs sysname".
amd64_ubuntu1404 is not necessarily compatible with amd64_deb40.

-Ben