[OpenAFS-devel] open issues for an openafs 1.8 branch

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Tue, 30 Sep 2014 16:02:44 -0400

On Mon, 29 Sep 2014 12:20:15 -0400 (EDT)
Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> wrote:

> Debian currently has packages for libafsauthent1, libafsrpc1, and
> libkopenafs1 (and the pam modules, which I am discounting for this
> question).  They contain only shared libraries, and no static libraries,
> which is the standard debian policy.

I sent you some mail privately about some symbols that appear to have
changed between 1.6 and master so something will need to be done
instead of nothing (possibly just changing the symbol versions instead
of the shared library version itself). Another question might be, is
there anything other than OpenAFS utils linked against those shared
libs on debian? If not, it probably doesn't matter what you do.

> > > (3) Dropping the Netscape plugin and related bits from our tree
> Yay!  I assume this goes for src/afsweb as well as the bits in libuafs?

I imagine so.  I suspect that the API for that (apache modules) has
changed enough that it probably wouldn't build without some work.  I
don't see any volunteers.

> > > (4) changing fileserver tuning
> I thought the users still had to specify the cache partition size in
> cacheinfo; what sort of runtime auto-tuning is done?

The startup script detects if you have a separate cache partition and
then uses 80% of that partition.

> > > (5) configure arguments for pam/kauth
> I am given to understand that we need to keep the kauth bits as an option
> part of the agreement with IBM that allows us to use the AFS name.  (I
> would be all for removing them if that's not the case.)

I don't recall if it was needing to support the original "kauth
authentication protocol" (rxkad) or providing everything including the
kaserver. This seems to imply kaserver was going to go away followed by
rxkad.

http://www.openafs.org/no-more-des.html