[OpenAFS-devel] RPM packaging in centos

Ken Dreyer ktdreyer@ktdreyer.com
Mon, 17 Aug 2015 09:24:34 -0600

On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 8:11 AM, Jason Edgecombe
<jason@rampaginggeek.com> wrote:
> I went on the centos-devel list to ask about the RPM package project, and
> maybe contributing a few hours, but I seem to have sparked a debate over
> per-kernel kmod's vs multi-kernel kmod's, which are built for each EL point
> release. I don't know enough to debate this point, and I welcome any of the
> kernel gurus chiming in.

centos-devel is too much of a constant flame-fest for me, but
basically the piece of information that's missing in the thread is
that OpenAFS uses many kernel symbols that are not in Red Hat's kABI
whitelist. Rebuilding for each individual Red Hat kernel is the only
safe way to go.

I suspect this is true of other out-of-tree modules as well; I've
certainly had (non-OpenAFS) elrepo kmods do bad things on my system,
and the only fix I found was to rebuild the SRPM against my particular
kernel-devel package

kABI is a great theory, but in practice I would be surprised if many
popular out-of-tree modules follow it correctly.

- Ken