[OpenAFS-devel] gerrit (and buildbot) outage window today

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Mon, 28 Dec 2015 20:59:36 -0500 (EST)

The outage is over and service should be restored now.

We are running the current version of gerrit, 2.12; changes that are
merged in gerrit get propogated to the standalone git repos at
git.openafs.org with the appropriate commit mail being generated.
Buildbot seems to cope okay with the new version (after a slight
permissions tweak to let it stream changes), having commented on my test
change that deliberately broke the build.

The updated gerrit has a lot of changes since the 2.2.1 that we were
previously running; I cannot enumerate them all here, but a few big ones
are worth mentioning:

The actual reviewing UI is quite different -- click on a filename in the
"Files" section to bring up a diff in your preferred format (side-by-side
vs. unified are stored in user preferences).  To review something for the
first time and assign a score, it's the "Reply" button in the top status
bar for that change (below the All|My|Projects|... and
Open|Merged|Abandoned bars).

Trivial rebase detection is built-in; we don't need a custom script to
check and force-review things.

There is now a draft changes namespace, for scratch work not quite ready
to be reviewed yet.  You can push to, e.g., refs/drafts/master and get a
'publish' button in the UI, or push to refs/publish/master directly.
Supposedly the refs/for/master syntax was deprecated around gerrit 2.3 or
so, but I don't know to what extent that's sticking.

You can also add options for things like reviewers and ccs at push-time,
like git push gerrit HEAD:refs/publish/master%r=alice,cc=bob

The deprecated approve alias for the review SSH command has been
removed in 2.8.  (But maybe it got re-added?  The buildbot scripts might
be using this form still.)

There are a lot more things that can be used to limit searches, including
whether the change is mergeable as-is, which is exposed elsewhere in the
UI as well.

There's a text editor included, so some things can be edited directly in
the gerrit UI.

I'm sure you will encounter many more differences as you use the new
installation; if you find something you think is particularly interesting
or useful, please let us know, since we may not have found it yet.

Enjoy!

-Ben