[OpenAFS-devel] Openafs 1.6.10 does not build on Fedora 21

Marc Dionne marc.c.dionne@gmail.com
Tue, 20 Jan 2015 07:58:34 -0400

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 1:17 AM, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2015, Todd Lewis wrote:
>
>> No, I did not intentionally enable the AFS/NFS translator. I did:
>> > git clone git://git.openafs.org/openafs.git
>> > cd openafs
>> > ./regen.sh
>> > ./configure
>> > --with-linux-kernel-headers=/lib/modules/3.17.8-200.fc20.i686/build
>> > --with-linux-kernel-packaging
>> > make
>> > make dest
>> and got both afspag.ko and openafs.ko. I had never seen afspag.ko before, so I
>> thought I'd ask.
>
> I think we always try to build it if configure finds the functions it
> needs.  But, I thought that those functions had not been available for
> many years, so it's a bit surprising that you ended up with one...
>
> -Ben

The NFS translator itself hasn't built for a while because it requires
symbols that are now GPL only, and probably has additional bitrot at
ths point.  The afspag.ko module is something that is meant to run on
NFS clients to forward syscalls over to the translator machine.  See
doc/txt/README.linux-nfstrans for more info.

Marc