[OpenAFS-devel] vos changeaddr with multi-homed entries

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Mon, 26 Jan 2015 12:53:36 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:

> and summarize some of the recent topics of discussion in separate
> messages, to make the threading easier if discussion crops up on -devel.

In gerrit 11604, Mike came up with a proposal to finally make 'vos
changeaddr' (without -remove) stop corrupting the vldb.  If I remember
correctly, this has long been known as a "don't do that" operation, but no
one had yet actually produced a fix.  The nature of the fix in 11604 was
somewhat controversial, though (it just adjusted the backend logic to
perform the requested operation on the mh entry in place, and some people
wanted to see these operations denied instead), and 11639 and 11640 were
produced as alternative approaches to not corrupting the vldb.  So far,
there seems to be the most support for the 11639 variant, which allows
changeaddr to work on non-mh entries, but denies it for mh entries, since
RegisterAddrs is a better alternative.

There are also some related client-side changes, to create a dedicated
removeaddr subcommand and require "-force" to use changeaddr on mh
entries, in 11606 and 11638.

If you are interested in this space, please look at and comment on these
gerrit changes.

-Ben