[OpenAFS-devel] out-of-bounds file descriptors in FD_SETs

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Mon, 26 Jan 2015 13:17:56 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:

> and summarize some of the recent topics of discussion in separate
> messages, to make the threading easier if discussion crops up on -devel.

One of the issues that the release team discussed is the issue which 8841
attempts to resolve, namely that if we have bugs elsewhere in our code, we
can end up with FD_SET calls touching memory outside the allocated fd_set
structure, which means random bit flips in other in-memory structures.

Since the semantics on Windows are different, and this would just be
adding an assertion that we don't re-introduce an old bug that we believe
fixed, it didn't seem worth the effort to bring it into 1.8, so we are
probably going to not treat it as a release blocker.

-Ben