[OpenAFS-devel] rethinking log rotation

chas williams - CONTRACTOR chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Mon, 26 Jan 2015 14:28:09 -0500

On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 14:02:27 -0500 (EST)
Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> Change 11600 applies to the util/ logging routines, letting log rotation
> be affected by log size instead of just always rolling the log at server
> startup.  The log would only be rolled at startup if it is over 100k
> (arbitrarily chosen), so that back-to-back restarts will keep the new log
> and preserve the older log.

And of course, someone will want a flag to set this value at some point.
Eventually, someone will ask, "Why can't I rotate on some other metric?"
So, more options and logic added to everything.

> Taking both changes would of course lead to inconsistent behavior between
> bosserver and everything else -- jhutz had suggested that 11600 could be
> modified to behave similarly to 3347 (i.e., never rotate the log unless a
> command-line switch is given to retain the old behavior).  Then an
> external log rotation tool could be used everywhere.

This forces the decision about how to rotate and when and what size
onto another external program that is (hopefully) provided by your local
operating system.  Decisions and flexibility would be solely the domain
of local administrators and not OpenAFS developers.