[OpenAFS-devel] proposal: removing mac prefs pane

Dave Botsch botsch@cnf.cornell.edu
Thu, 29 Jan 2015 10:44:49 -0500

Hi, Jeff.

We can certainly move the pref pane portion over to openafs-info.

See below...

> The OSX client has a couple of huge holes in it at the moment:
>
> 1. The packaging is no longer current for Xcode that supports
>    Mavericks or Yosemite.

Can you clarify what you mean? As far as I know, the only thing required
to build is an old packagebuilder script.

> 2. Parts of the pref pane functionality no longer work because
>    of changes in Mavericks and Yosemite.

The preference pane, to my knowledge, has never worked for cross realm
authentication. So, that also needs to be fixed to call it "working".

> 3. There is no support for Bulk Status RPCs which cause the
>    OSX client (especially when used through Finder) to be
>    extremely slow when evaluating directories with large
>    numbers of entries over high latency links.
>
>    This same lack of support for Bulk Status RPCs also triggers
>    the file server throttling of clients when many of the objects
>    in the directory are unreadable by the user.

Interesting. What would you consider "large numbers" out of curiosity?
Is there a plan to fix this?

> 4. There is no support for PAGs.

Always been that way. PAGs have their plusses and minuses (on our SunRay
linux systems, I've actually disabled PAGs since certain processes get
stuck in PAGs without authN).

> 5. Code signing for the installer, the userland binaries and
>    the kernel extension are necessary for improved firewall
>    access and installation behavior.

Yeah, this sucks. It is workable aroundable pretty easily, but not
something we want the end user to have to do.

> Of these, the easiest to address is fixing the Preference Pane.

Is there a plan in place to fix this? It'd be nice to have this fully
working :)

--
David William Botsch