[OpenAFS-devel] FreeBSD 8.x buildslave going away; what to replace it with

Benjamin Kaduk kaduk@MIT.EDU
Mon, 1 Jun 2015 16:29:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015, Garrett Wollman wrote:

> FreeBSD 8.4, and the entire FreeBSD 8.x branch, will reach end of life
> at the end of this month, and at that time I'll be shutting down the
> FreeBSD 8 buildslave.  Currently, this is the only FreeBSD buildslave
> on a non-Heimdal system, which is the configuration that we (MIT
> CSAIL) use but is fairly challenging to support because of the way
> FreeBSD is (not) packaged.  I could put together a new FreeBSD 10.x
> buildslave without Heimdal (i.e., using MIT Kerberos) if people
> thought that was worthwhile from a test-coverage perspective; it would
> get updated at the same time as other CSAIL servers.  But I'm not
> going to go to this effort unless I get some indication from
> developers that it would be worth my time.

It's probably fine to just stick with stock FreeBSD (i.e., Heimdal); most
of the issues with using FreeBSD + MIT Kerberos are just from the oddities
of having to avoid using Heimdal from base -- any real issues relating to
interactions between the OpenAFS code and the MIT Kerberos code should be
caught by builders on other platforms (e.g., Debian).

Thank you again for running the multiple and varied buildslaves you run!

-Ben