[OpenAFS-devel] linux45: smoke test failed

Stephan Wiesand stephan.wiesand@desy.de
Thu, 16 Jun 2016 17:55:36 +0200

I smoke tested what was planned to be OpenAFS 1.6.18.1, as discussed in =
yesterday's release team meeting, on a Fedora 23 x86_64 VM with kernel =
4.5.6-200 today. The result was disappointing:

git clone git://gerrit.openafs.org/openafs.git
cd openafs
git log=20
# scrolled through a few dozen changes, took a couple of seconds
git checkout openafs-stable-1_6_18

At this point I got the following error:

fatal: Unable to read current working directory: No such file or =
directory

A "cd; cd -" cures this for a while, and there's no apparent data =
corruption. I'm still worried. The problem isn't 100% reproducible, but =
it doesn't take too may tries checking out random tags or branches.

This was plain 1.6.18 + gerrit 12300 12301 12302 12274.

Cache is on ext4, no separate partition, default size as set by our RPM =
(I think 100MB, but I don't have access to the VM right now to check).

The small cache size may contribute to the problem. But I found no =
errors logged anywhere, and this shouldn't happen no matter how small =
the cache is.

NB we have a user report of exactly this problem happening frequently =
while just editing files in a local git repo in AFS space. The data is a =
bit sketchy, but it's probably Ubuntu 14.04 with its current default =
kernel and the openafs packages from Anders' ppa. I'll try to get us =
more data.

Any thoughts? For the time being I'm considering this a showstopper for =
1.6.18.1, and it looks like we're not quite there yet regarding Linux =
4.5, let alone 4.6 or the 4.7 due in a few weeks :-(

--=20
Stephan Wiesand
DESY -DV-
Platanenenallee 6