[OpenAFS-devel] Delay of minor releases on master PPA

Stephan Wiesand stephan.wiesand@desy.de
Fri, 24 Jun 2016 20:59:53 +0200

On Jun 24, 2016, at 17:28 , Benjamin Kaduk wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jun 2016, Karl-Philipp Richter wrote:
>=20
>> Hi,
>> I was wondering if there's a policy about providing minor releases in
>> the [Ubuntu OpenAFS master
>> PPA](https://launchpad.net/~openafs/+archive/ubuntu/master), like the
>> recently released 1.6.18.1. As of now it's still 1.6.18. If it's not
>> done by a robot or delayed for a reason, I'd be happy if you'd =
provide
>> the release in the PPA.
>=20
> It is not done by a robot.  The OpenAFS team on launchpad
> (https://launchpad.net/~openafs) manages it, which has a single =
member; if
> you are logged in to launchpad, https://launchpad.net/~anders-kaseorg =
will
> display a direct email address for Anders.
>=20
> The Ubuntu packaging is usually derived from the Debian packaging for =
> given release, but sometimes when I am slow to update Debian, Anders =
will
> take the update in Ubuntu before it makes it into Debian.  I may have =
time
> to update Debian this weekend, but my schedule is pretty busy at the
> moment.

Also please note that the time of release is fairly unpredictable. A =
couple of hours before you received the announcement, it was far from =
clear that 1.6.18.1 would ship that day. It could well have been =
postponed for a couple of days or even weeks. Please don't complain if =
downstream packagers don't jump on the release within hours. Maybe =
rather ask them (or us) how to help?

- Stephan