[OpenAFS-devel] Quick start guide reference implementation

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Fri, 20 May 2016 18:26:15 -0400

--001a114e44168eb40705334d960b

For what it's worth, there are multiple puppet modules for managing
kerberos on the PuppetForge, including my own:
https://forge.puppet.com/edgester/kerberos I haven't been very active in
maintaining the module lately, but it was good enough to get 5 contributors.

I also have a crude openafs Puppet module that worked for some demos:
https://github.com/edgester/puppet-module-openafs

Jason

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Steve Simmons <scs@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 9:14 PM, Jeffrey Altman <jaltman@auristor.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Having a working Kerberos realm is a precursor requirement to an OpenAFS
> > deployment.  There is little point in working on automated scripting of
> > the OpenAFS pieces until automated scripting for Kerberos is in place.
>
> Agree with the first sentence, disagree with the second. Having an
> easy-to-set-up AFS method is a win even if the precursor (kerberos) is
> hard. If anything, the existence of the easy AFS setup would incent
> the development of something similar for kerberos. One might even
> argue that in a lot of cases, desire to use AFS is a primary reason
> for end users or small sites to implement kerberos.

--001a114e44168eb40705334d960b

et modules for managing kerberos on the PuppetForge, including my own: <a h=
ref=3D"https://forge.puppet.com/edgester/kerberos">https://forge.puppet.com=
/edgester/kerberos</a> I haven&#39;t been very active in maintaining the mo=
iv><div>I also have a crude openafs Puppet module that worked for some demo=
s: <a href=3D"https://github.com/edgester/puppet-module-openafs">https://gi=
ay 20, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Steve Simmons <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mail=
x #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><span class=3D"">On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 9:1=
4 PM, Jeffrey Altman &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:jaltman@auristor.com">jaltman@au=
ristor.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; Having a working Kerberos realm is a precursor requirement to an OpenA=
FS<br>
&gt; deployment.=C2=A0 There is little point in working on automated script=
ing of<br>
&gt; the OpenAFS pieces until automated scripting for Kerberos is in place.=
r>
easy-to-set-up AFS method is a win even if the precursor (kerberos) is<br>
hard. If anything, the existence of the easy AFS setup would incent<br>
the development of something similar for kerberos. One might even<br>
argue that in a lot of cases, desire to use AFS is a primary reason<br>
for end users or small sites to implement kerberos.<br>