[OpenAFS-devel] Building for linux 4.10

Michael Laß lass@mail.upb.de
Mon, 10 Apr 2017 15:28:16 +0200

Resending from the correct mail alias…

<lass@mail.uni-paderborn.de>:

> Hi,
>
>> Am 10.04.2017 um 14:59 schrieb Todd Lewis <utoddl@email.unc.edu>:
>>
>> Is there a straightforward way to figure out which pieces of
>> git://git.openafs.org/openafs.git could be used to test on Linux =
4.10.x?

> I guess the easiest solution is to look if there are outstanding =
changes for a certain kernel version on gerrit.openafs.org. For Linux 4.10 there was only one change which was already pushed to both master and openafs-stable-1_6_x branches and will be included in OpenAFS 1.6.20.2.

packages because Arch users switch to new kernels very early: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/openafs-modules/
> Whenever a patch is required for a recently released kernel version, =
some user will complain very soon.

>> Having said all that, and having crawled around the repo with my =
novice level
>> git foo, I have not found anything like, "Those willing to crash and =
burn with
>> the latest kernels could try this, this, and that." I'm willing, but
>> insufficiently en-clued.
>
> Such discussion typically takes place on gerrit, the mailing list or =
the bug tracker (rt.central.org). Most of the time, openafs will just not compile when kernel APIs change, so it is easy to notice. But of course sometimes there may be hidden bugs with new kernels as well.