[OpenAFS-devel] Transistioning to buildbot 1.x

Michael Meffie mmeffie@sinenomine.net
Fri, 10 Aug 2018 09:28:02 -0400

Hello All,

We are in the process of transitioning to a modern version of buildbot for the
OpenAFS buildbot master hosted by MIT at buildbot.openafs.org.

The buildbot version 0.8.x setup by Jason Edgecombe has served us well over the
years, however we are long overdue for an upgrade.  Since this time the
buildbot project has released a 1.0 version with major changes and some
incompatibilities requiring us to transition the buildbot master to a modern
version.

Starting with buildbot version 0.9, the buildbot project has deprecated the
term "buildbot slave" and transitioned to the new "buildbot worker"
terminology.  Protocol changes have been made, however buildbot master version
1.x supports old buildbot slaves as well as modern buildbot workers. The
buildbot master version 0.8.x we are currently running only supports the legacy
buildbot slaves.

A new buildbot master[1] version 1.3 has been installed on buildbot.openafs.org
donated by MIT, running side-by-side the old buildbot master during this
transition.  The new master is listening on a non-default port in order to run
side-by-side with the old master.  We plan on testing out the new buildbot
master and the gerrit integration with a few slaves/workers for a few weeks.

After a test period, we will be shutting down the old master and changing the
ports so the existing buildslaves will start using the new buildbot master,
hopefully transparently.

The master configuration has been ported to the new version and is being
maintained on github[2] on branch buildbot-1xx.

Thanks goes to Ben Kuduk and the staff at MIT for assisting in this upgrade.

Thanks,
Mike

[1]: http://buildbot.openafs.org:8011
[2]: http://github.com/openafs-contrib/afsbotcfg