[OpenAFS-devel] Pulling up changes to stable

Stephan Wiesand stephan.wiesand@desy.de
Fri, 3 Mar 2023 19:12:38 +0100

Hi Ben,

> On 3. Mar 2023, at 18:13, Ben Huntsman <ben@huntsmans.net> wrote:
>=20
> Hi there!
>    Thank you for accepting the patches I submitted to get OpenAFS =
working on AIX 7.2-7.3, as well as the previous ones!

thank you for whipping those up.

>    Now that they're all there in the master branch, what needs to be =
done to pull them up into an upcoming stable branch?

These changes are on my list of things I want to get into stable. I'm =
just slow.

>   I read the GitDevelopers page, but is it ok for anyone to push =
patches to Gerrit for an upcoming stable, or is there some additional =
review process?

In principle it's ok, provided that those patches are clean cherry-picks =
from master. In practice, it causes extra work if a change pulled up =
like this touches a file already modified by any other change in the =
queue. In addition, you'll sometimes (or rather often) find that the =
change from master doesn't apply cleanly to stable, and either needs to =
be modified or (preferrably) be supplemented by more changes from master =
not yet on stable.

Mind you, you're absolutely free to submit those pull-ups yourself. The =
most appreciated way you can help though is to provide a list of change =
numbers you'd like to see in an upcoming stable release. And keep =
poking...

Best regards,
	Stephan

>=20