[OpenAFS-devel] Regarding OpenAFS "project ideas"

Michael Meffie mmeffie@sinenomine.net
Sun, 19 May 2024 14:18:07 -0400

On Mon, 13 May 2024 11:37:19 +0530
Sahil <icegambit91@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Sahil. I have an interest in computer networks, distributed
> systems and file systems although I don't have much experience in the
> latter two. While searching for relevant project ideas I came across this
> "project ideas" page [1].
>
> I am interested in the project "netcat for rx". I think this will be a good
> starter project since I am not very familiar with OpenAFS' architecture
> or the Rx protocol but am comfortable with C and have worked on
> networking projects in the past (eg: [2]).
>
> Working on this project will enable me to understand how the Rx protocol
> works and get familiar with OpenAFS. This will also help me work on the
> more advanced projects in the list (assuming they are still open).
>
> Is this project idea still of interest to OpenAFS? If so, and if no work has
> started on this, I would like to work on it. I look forward to hearing from
> you.
>
> Regards,
> Sahil
> Github profile: https://github.com/valdaarhun
>
> [1] http://openafs.org/gsoc/project-ideas.html
> [2] https://github.com/valdaarhun/Distributed-Key-Generation-Algorithm

Hello Sahil,

Thank you for your interest in OpenAFS and the "netcat for rx" project idea.
Yes, this project idea is still of interest, and as far as I know, no one
has started work on it for OpenAFS.

Although OpenAFS is not currently a mentoring organization for the Google
Summer of Code, we do welcome participation from contributors and as a
contributor I will do my best to give you guidance.

Looking for forward to collaborating with you.

Best regards,
Mike