[OpenAFS-Doc] Documentation evaluation

ted creedon tcreedon@easystreet.com
Wed, 20 Jul 2005 18:29:02 -0700

Welcome to AFS.
Comments below.

tedc

-----Original Message-----
From: openafs-doc-admin@openafs.org [mailto:openafs-doc-admin@openafs.org]
On Behalf Of Michael D. Norwick
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 4:16 PM
To: openafs-doc
Subject: [OpenAFS-Doc] Documentation evaluation

    As Mr. Altman pointed out (and I agree) an evaluation of the sources of
the current documentation needs to be done.

>tedc Current sources are in IBM htm and IBM pdf best versions are included
with the distribution.

  I may be wrong but it appears that Mr. Creedon has been doing some amount
of work on HTML-ization of certain docs.

>tedc No. I converted the IBM htm's to Latex which then re-emits html and
pdf. The main conversion script uses tidy (to update the htm's),
html2latex.pl (with lots of mods) and a post conversion set of cleanup perl
scripts.

I would like to know what his exact sources were and where I can find them
in order to review them against what I already have (versioning?).

>tedc My Latex sources and converson tooling stream on ftp.creedon.biz

Do the current Web pages follow a particular stable version of OpenAFS, or
are they more general, depending on the reader to review changelogs in the
source (code) to find out about new or obsolete methods?
>tedc IBM docs haven't been updated in 5 years. They are apparently sourced
in a very sophisticated IBM internal format.

I'm playing a little bit dumb here as I have my own answers to these
questions.  I would also like to apologize to Ms. Filderman for my current
lack of knowledge on her contributions.
    I want to compliment those involved with the OpenAFS project.  I just
got done with an OpenAFS client installation from rpms that took less than
30 minutes, and most of that time was waiting for the cache to fill.  I have
limited programming skills but consider myself a scriptorian (bash that
is..) and I am familiar with most of the editing and programming tools
offered under current Linux distributions.
I've collected references ranging from single page HOWTO's (which worked) to
the 816 page IBM
AFS Reference (and I read most of them too!).  From converting to open
source, to integrating with current authentication methods, to making
OpenAFS available on numerous platforms, you've all done a great work and I,
for one, Thank You.

>tedc Positive input!

Michael

PS  I'm also just a guy in a basement, with a network and a vision.
Don't hold that against me :)