[OpenAFS-Doc] new man pages: pts_interactive, pts_sleep, and pts_quit

Jason Edgecombe jason@rampaginggeek.com
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 23:22:59 -0400

Russ Allbery wrote:
> Jason Edgecombe <jason@rampaginggeek.com> writes:
>

>> ok,
>>

>> I'm sorry for all of the different versions of the pts_* man pages I've
>> been bombarding the list with, but here is what I believe to be my final
>> versions of the pts pages. There are no pts pages left in the
>> man-pages/README file.
>>

>> I've attached the latest versions of the pts source, pts sleep, pts
>> interactive, and pts quit man pages along with a diff against the CVS
>> head that shows my changes to existing files.
>>

>> I fixed some pod syntax errors in existing files (most of which were
>> mine).
>>

>> The pts stuff should be safe to commit now. I'm done with it.
>>

> Thanks, applied, with appropriate modifications to reflect the fact that
> these commands are available now even if OpenAFS isn't built with
> supergroups.
>
> Some notes for future patches:
>
> * The second form of the command in the synopsis, which shows the
>   abbreviated command name, should also show the acceptable abbreviations
>   for all the options as well.  Options, like commands, can be abbreviated
>   to the shortest string that's still unique.
>
> * For command suites like pts where all the commands take some common
>   options, just cut and paste the description of those options from other
>   existing POD documentation for that command suite.  That way we don't
>   have slightly different wordings of the same thing.  (An exception can
>   be made if there's some specific point to that option for the command
>   being described.)

Thanks for making the notes on versions. I was struggling with writing
clear and consise verbage for communicating the versioning stuff with
windows and supergroups.

I'll be sure to include your recommendation in my future work.

Jason