[OpenAFS-Doc] bos addhost -clone

Jeff Blaine jblaine@kickflop.net
Wed, 18 May 2011 17:36:14 -0400

On 5/18/2011 1:24 PM, Jeffrey Altman wrote:
> I will review the history of documentation for you.

Thanks for the history, Jeffrey.  That puts a lot
in perspective for me.

>> When was this added?  Where is it explained, official
>> documentation guides aside, even in some release notes
>> for that version?
>
> bos -clone was added on 12 Feb 2001 as part of the
> contributions from a source licensee.  You can review
> the change in the source tree.
>
>    git show c4a127d0578e521b97131c5dedf9da58f71b0242

I see, too, that it is mentioned a bit in NEWS.  So
much for Google, or my keywords.

   * AFS database servers can be marked as read-only
     clones.  Surround the hostname in square brackets
     on the bos addhost command and the database server
     will never be elected sync site.  This is useful
     for cells distributed over a wide region.

>> What process do "we" have for blocking releases until
>> the documentation is updated to reflect any new options
>> or altered behavior?  Why is the documentation considered
>> a second or third-class citizen in the release process?
>> The development team sure wouldn't make a release with
>> half of something coded and enabled.
>
> Most developers working on OpenAFS are paid to do so in
> one form or another whether by a commercial support/development
> organization or by a host institution that deploys OpenAFS.
> I am aware of no one that is paid to write documentation,
> or more importantly, update the documentation that was not
> written over the missing ten years.

I can see maybe we disagree on what "working on OpenAFS"
means? To me, as with any development effort, it means
documentation updating or creation is absolutely part of
it.

> We look forward to seeing documentation patch submissions at
> http://gerrit.openafs.org/ from you and anyone else that is willing
> to take some time to work on it.  Read the code, take a stab at
> writing some text, submit to gerrit, and get feedback from the
> community to improve it.

On it!