[OpenAFS] RE: Web server over AFS

Mathieu, Thomas J Thomas.Mathieu@pnl.gov
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:18:14 -0800

Hello Peter --

We run a webserver (Sun Ultra 80 class, 4 processor, currently Solaris 2.6).
Only a handful of admins have access and it has a highly secure configuration --
no telnet or ftp access, etc., other than the webserver.  It runs Apache web
services and serves pages out of our AFS space. Several logical servers are
supported -- and external server (which anyone can view at www.emsl.pnl.gov), an
internal server limited to on site access, a secure server which allows
authenticated external access to the internal only area, and a few project
specific areas.

The external web pages are maintained by a few web developers who know rules
about what can be released and what can't. The internal pages are maintained by
project web developers. CGI scripts are peer-reviewed for potential problems or
policy violations. This is strictly enforced on the external site, more loosely
enforced internally. Most file access is to databases which have secondary
controls.  Scripts aren't allowed write to the web server or AFS space, but we
haven't extensively tested the capabilities here.

We use AFS WebSecure product from IBM/Transarc to manage the secure web access
controls.  It works in conjunction with AFS groups to control access. After a
users authenticate, they can access web pages as allowed by groups in which they
are members.

No bonus points. only one moderately loaded server taking about 1.5M hits per
month.

Tom Mathieu (tom.mathieu@pnl.gov)
EMSL Computer Support
Battelle, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory