[OpenAFS] Directory layout for new cells

Kelsang Wangden wngdn@src.uchicago.edu
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:08:06 -0600

Sam Hartman <hartmans@MIT.EDU> wrote:

>     Kelsang> To answer the question about layouts ...  We built a new
>     Kelsang> cell from scratch last December because our old cell had
>     Kelsang> gotten quite crufty, and we were moving to new servers
>     Kelsang> for Y2K anyway.  I asked for some feedback on
>     Kelsang> info-afs@transarc.org and got some really good responses
>     Kelsang> - you might want to look in the archive for those.
>
>     Kelsang> Anyway, here's the layout we settled on in
>     Kelsang> /afs/src.uchicago.edu:
>
>     Kelsang> admin/ administrative files arch/ sun4x_57/ one directory
>
> How common is the arch designation at top-level?  MIT uses system for
> that at the top-level and arch within package-specific "lockers."
>

> If arch is very common, then I'll probably create arch as the
> directory with system as a symlink.

IIRC, my co-worker Jon and I decided on "arch" in a brainstorming
session, so for all I know it's unique to our site.

Regards,

Wangden
--
Kelsang Wangden (Buddhist monk)        Technical Manager
Social Science Research Computing, University of Chicago