[OpenAFS] client problems

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Tue, 10 Apr 2001 22:34:24 -0400

[wide replying to me is useless since I'm on the list, and annoying to
boot; Please don't]

--On Tuesday, April 10, 2001 10:01:17 PM -0400 "Steven N. Hirsch"
<shirsch@adelphia.net> wrote:

> On 10 Apr 2001, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> "Steven N. Hirsch" <shirsch@adelphia.net> writes:
>>
>> > I've had absolutely no problems on an SMP box when running Transarc AFS
>> > client with kernel 2.2.17.  As per my earlier post, I've not been able
>> > to get OpenAFS client to cooperate at all.
>>
>> Then perhaps you should continue to use Transarc AFS.  It's quite
>> possible that they have made changes to solve this problem, or perhaps
>> OpenAFS introduced them.  In either case, if Transarc AFS is working
>> for you, by all means continue to use it.
>
> Well, that's true.  But I'd really like to upgrade to kernel 2.2.19, which
> won't work with their official modules.   And I was hoping that my problem
> report might prove helpful.  Sorry for the noise!

Don't apologize, it's a useful data point. Your earlier message suggested
you were using a mish-mash of patches, and the problem is AFS is at least a
little fragile with respect to kernel structures, so if those patches
modify any of the relevant stuff it can be problematic; It's obviously not
possible to test with every combination of patches, but I will begin
testing with 2.2.19 as soon as I've isolated this SMP problem, and I'm on
the trail of it now.

-D