[OpenAFS] client problems

Steven N. Hirsch shirsch@adelphia.net
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 07:53:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> >> Then perhaps you should continue to use Transarc AFS.  It's quite
> >> possible that they have made changes to solve this problem, or perhaps
> >> OpenAFS introduced them.  In either case, if Transarc AFS is working
> >> for you, by all means continue to use it.
> >
> > Well, that's true.  But I'd really like to upgrade to kernel 2.2.19, which
> > won't work with their official modules.   And I was hoping that my problem
> > report might prove helpful.  Sorry for the noise!
>
> Don't apologize, it's a useful data point. Your earlier message suggested
> you were using a mish-mash of patches, and the problem is AFS is at least a
> little fragile with respect to kernel structures, so if those patches
> modify any of the relevant stuff it can be problematic; It's obviously not
> possible to test with every combination of patches, but I will begin
> testing with 2.2.19 as soon as I've isolated this SMP problem, and I'm on
> the trail of it now.

Fair enough, thanks!  Thinking about it, Stephen Tweedie's ext3fs patches
would be my prime suspect.  They affect filesystem code at a very low
level AFAIK.  I'll give this another try without them applied, using the
OpenAFS afsd (never heard any opinions on whether my use of the Transarc
3.6 afsd with OpenAFS kernel module could have been problematic).

Steve