[OpenAFS] SAMBA as a CIFS <-> AFS gateway

Geoff Silver geoff@uslinux.net
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 09:17:01 -0400 (EDT)

> > > Why would you have any problems so long as only one AFS server mounted
> > > the CIFS share?
> > If you really could guarantee that, you'd probably be ok.

Ugh, CIFS sucks.  Use NFS if at all possible.  I've found NFS is usually
about 2.5 times faster than CIFS.

We ran into the same issue here.  My company wanted to use a NetApp for
storage, and allow about a hundred distributed processing machines to
access data on it through our Foundry BigIron.  However, once we moved
equipment to an offsite datacenter, pulling stuff back to the office for
testing over a T-1 was painful.  We wanted to use AFS so data would be
locally cached, but couldn't, because each of the distributed processing
machines needed direct access to the NetApp, and passing through an
intermediary AFS server wasn't a good solution.

It's a real shame that AFS isn't natively supported by NetApp (although
they're talking about adding DaFS support to NFS and CIFS), or that AFS
can't share a partition.  I would love to have the option to use the
native filesystem, and give up some of the ACLs in exchange, in that
particular instance where data wasn't going to be moved between volumes
anyway...

--
Geoff Silver					<geoff at uslinux dot net>
"Note To Self: Remember to put something witty here later..."