[OpenAFS] Features great and small

Marcus Watts mdw@umich.edu
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 21:27:42 -0400

Default <aeneous@speakeasy.org> writes:

> Not in UNIX(tm) chmod doesn't recurse.  Just because "10,000 high school
> students" don't fully respect the tool-building philosophy is no reason to go
> and make things worse.

Um, the UNIX(tm) version of chmod probably does recurse.  Here's
part of the Solaris 2.6 man page (which is close to SVR4 ...)

	     chmod [ -fR ] <absolute-mode> file...
	     chmod [ -fR ] <symbolic-mode-list> file...
	     -R        Recursively descend through  directory  arguments,

The 386bsd version of chmod recurses too.
	usage: chomd [-R [-H | -L | -P]] mode file ...
There's probably one of those SVID things that says chmod is supposed
to have an "-R" option, which probably means it's part of one or more
of the alphabet soup standards too.

The AIX 3.2 version of chmod has this usage message:
	Usage: chmod [-Rf][ugoa][+-=][rwxXstugo] file ...

Having said that, I can't say that I'm much in favour of "readline" for
kas or anything else.  I don't know about anyone else, but I really
*hate* it when tab and ^W don't work right.  Besides, if "readline" is
that great a thing, it probably belongs in the TTY driver or perhaps in
libc, and not buried separately in each tool.

				-Marcus Watts
				UM ITD Umich Systems Group