[OpenAFS] Setting the setacl on newly created volumes

Default aeneous@speakeasy.org
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 21:10:52 -0400

> >From a purity point of view, vos is a volume client, not a viced client.
> There may be cases where you wish to manipulate the data via that
> interface, but I can't think of why.

One of the big problems with the AFS user interface is that the command suites
reflect implementation details, instead of reflecting the user's view of
things.
It's a shame that users (and new admins) are expected to understand how the
responsibility for various bits of functionality is apportioned among AFS
components, and that "fs talks to the cm, vos talks to the volser (sometimes)
and the vldbserver (sometimes), pts talks to the ptserver, kas talks to the
kaserver...."

The "purity" that you cite is natural for a programmer, but it's awfully nice
as a user to be able to spare a few brain cells for other things, like my
phone number.

Each of the AFS command suites has two or three 'ordinary user' functions, two
or three 'ordinary admin' functions, and a half-dozen 'emergency' functions.
As an example, consider a few commands in the fs suite: (1) setacl, listacl,
listquota, checkservers. (2) *mount, *serverprefs, setquota, whereis. (3)
setcachesize, flush*
 Every once in a while I toy with the idea of writing an alternative set of
command suites that are more task-oriented. It just never reaches the top of
the list.