[OpenAFS] openAFS on SuSE 7.2

Markus Alt altmark@de.ibm.com
Fri, 03 Aug 2001 12:23:33 +0200

Tony Arnold wrote:

> Any tips on how I should go about installing OpenAFS on SuSE Linux 7.2?
> Should it build
> from source out of the box or should I use one of the rpm packages?

I've built it from source multiple times on 7.2 and earlier versions.
Should be no problem.

> My first effort (and I've not tried very hard so far!) is that the
> configure script says
> it could not find any useful linux headers and it also couldn't figure out
> the name of
> my system.

AFAIK, the configure script checks for existence of /usr/src/linux-2.x.y
if you build for kernel version 2.x.y. SuSE installs the kernel sources
under /usr/src/linux-2.x.y.SuSE and symlinks /usr/src/linux to that
directory. If you create another symlink /usr/src/linux-2.x.y pointing
to /usr/src/linux-2.x.y.SuSE, it should work.

> I'd appreciate any hints and tips on this.

I have problems with starting OpenAFS when the AFS cache is on a
ReiserFS filesystem. It seems to work the first time after I install it,
but crashes the next time the machine (or AFS resp.) it started. With
the cache on an ext2 filesystem, it's ok. Don't know if this is SuSE
related, because I get the same behaviour with a vanilla 2.4.7 kernel.
Just thought I'd let you know.

Markus

--
Markus Alt