[OpenAFS] openAFS on SuSE 7.2

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
03 Aug 2001 08:09:34 -0400

Markus Alt <altmark@de.ibm.com> writes:

> AFAIK, the configure script checks for existence of /usr/src/linux-2.x.y
> if you build for kernel version 2.x.y. SuSE installs the kernel sources
> under /usr/src/linux-2.x.y.SuSE and symlinks /usr/src/linux to that
> directory. If you create another symlink /usr/src/linux-2.x.y pointing
> to /usr/src/linux-2.x.y.SuSE, it should work.

Or you can use the configure option --with-linux-kernel-headers=
and give it your kernel source directory.

> > I'd appreciate any hints and tips on this.
>
> I have problems with starting OpenAFS when the AFS cache is on a
> ReiserFS filesystem. It seems to work the first time after I install it,
> but crashes the next time the machine (or AFS resp.) it started. With
> the cache on an ext2 filesystem, it's ok. Don't know if this is SuSE
> related, because I get the same behaviour with a vanilla 2.4.7 kernel.
> Just thought I'd let you know.

This is Reiserfs related.  The problem is that Reiserfs breaks the
inode-number assumption (the assumption is that a file is uniquely
represented by a device number for the partition and an inode number).
Unfortunately reiserfs doesn't do this, so AFS cache wont work.

> Markus

-derek