[OpenAFS] How to allow local users login if network is down?

Paolo.Saggese.Paolo.Saggese@libero.it Paolo.Saggese.Paolo.Saggese@libero.it
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 16:01:40 +0200

Hi everybody,

=09I have (yet another!) question. I have successfully installed the=20
OpenAFS client on our Mandrake 8.0 Linux boxes (using a "vanilla" 2.4.5=20
Kernel). I have also set-up PAM as suggested, adding the line:

auth       sufficient   /lib/security/pam_afs.so try_first_pass ignore_ro=
ot

before the other "auth" lines to the relevant files in /etc/pam.d/.

Everything seems to be working just fine, but there's one problem: if the=
=20
AFS/NIS servers becomes unreachable/unavailable, it become impossible to=20
login to the machines.
Well, of course this is an obvious and unavoidable behaviour for all thos=
e=20
users who have their own accounts served via AFS+NIS... But it is much le=
ss=20
obvious for any "local" user who have its own account data stored in the=20
local /etc/passwd file and its home directory in some local filesystem, t=
oo.

I guess there must be a way to allow local users to login even if the AFS=
/NIS=20
servers are down, but I'm not a PAM expert and don't know how to do it...

Does anybody has any idea on how to do it?

Thanks a lot.

Ciao,
=09=09=09=09Paolo.

--
http://borex.lngs.infn.it/saggese
You can still escape from the GATES of hell: Use Linux!