[OpenAFS] Extremely slow startup of afs.

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
17 Aug 2001 00:02:33 -0400

Madhusudan Singh <chhabra@eecs.umich.edu> writes:

> /usr/vice/etc/cacheinfo :
>
> /afs:/usr/vice/cache:100000

Hrm, ok..  That looks reasonable.

> On 16 Aug 2001, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
> > What are the contents of /usr/vice/etc/cacheinfo?
> > What kind of filesystem is your AFS Cache?
>
> ext2, I am assuming that the cache resides on the same filesystem as my /
> (which is ext2).

Well, provided you don't have a /usr, /usr/vice, or /usr/vice/cache
partition, yes, it will reside on /.  Not a good idea to do that, but
let's ignore that for now.  Also make sure that you've got enough
space on that partition for your 100M cache.

Based on this, I don't know why it would take so long to startup
unless you are not on the network or do not have access to the
network.  In particular, if you do not have access to your cell, it
can take a while for AFS to timeout during startup.

Creating and sweeping the cache should take only a couple minutes at
most, especially with only 100M.  I can't see why that portion of the
startup would take very long.  Personally, I'd check your network.

-derek