[OpenAFS] Extremely slow startup of afs.

Madhusudan Singh chhabra@eecs.umich.edu
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 00:14:53 -0400 (EDT)

Hi

> Well, provided you don't have a /usr, /usr/vice, or /usr/vice/cache
> partition, yes, it will reside on /.  Not a good idea to do that, but
> let's ignore that for now.  Also make sure that you've got enough
> space on that partition for your 100M cache.

It does. I have /boot, /tmp, /home and / as my partitions. There is plenty
of space :

/dev/hda8              2071384   1737204    228956  89% /
/dev/hda7                23270      3411     18658  16% /boot
/dev/hda9               656144     23052    599760   4% /home
/dev/hda10              202220       610    191170   1% /tmp
AFS                    9000000         0   9000000   0% /afs

> Based on this, I don't know why it would take so long to startup
> unless you are not on the network or do not have access to the
> network.  In particular, if you do not have access to your cell, it
> can take a while for AFS to timeout during startup.

AFS is not timing out. I can access my files on afs perfectly.

One (possibly) related observation :

The top few lines in my /usr/vice/etc/CellServDB are :

>engin.umich.edu        #University of Michigan CAEN Network
141.212.2.75                    #artes.engin.umich.edu
141.212.2.76                    #scientia.engin.umich.edu
141.212.2.77                    #veritas.engin.umich.edu

While I was setting up, I had (mistakenly) placed another server (not a
database server, but a time sharing host) above these three. And when I
booted the machine next, I got a long wait and an error message that made
reference to that host. Is it possible that it is being asked to do the
same thing thrice (I do not understand much of the way openafs works) ?

> Creating and sweeping the cache should take only a couple minutes at
> most, especially with only 100M.  I can't see why that portion of the
> startup would take very long.  Personally, I'd check your network.

I am on a 10Mbit/s LAN.