[OpenAFS] MSI (Microsoft Installer) file for openafs?

Paul T Hirose pthirose@supreme.engr.ucdavis.edu
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 16:00:54 -0800 (PST)

In short...is there a ".msi" file for OpenAFS for Windows 2000?

In more detail...The ".msi" file is Microsoft's "new" installer file format.
It contains a bunch of information regarding what gets installed where,
how, etc.  I don't claim to understand the file myself :)

While the typical "one big setup.exe" still of course works, the ability
to have a .msi file is useful, primarily involving the use of Group Policy
Objects for Software Management.  Installing software via this method is
built-in to Windows 2000 when functioning under Active Directory, and it
seems a handy way to maintain software installations.

Microsoft provides (via third-party software "Winstall LE") a method to
create your own .msi file by essentially taking a 'diff' of before/after
you install a paritcular piece of software.  But I figure nothing beats
an actual .msi file, made by the actual software developers.  We've all
had various experiences with sysdiff and friends :)

In any case, if there are any leads to a MSI file for OpenAFS for use
with Windows 2000 (and presumably 2000 as well), that'd be great.

Thanks all,
PH

--
Paul Hirose          : pthirose@ucdavis.edu : Sysadm Motto: rm -fr /my/life
1039 Academic Surge  : Programmer/Analyst   : Backup Motto  : rm -fr /