[OpenAFS] Authorization Setup for AFS?

Jamie Walker jj.walker@auckland.ac.nz
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 09:33:15 +1300

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 12:37:24PM -0600, James Graves wrote:

> As I understand it, Kerberos only provides authentication, not
> authorization.  This implies that other information (the user's full
> name & unix ID, mail aliases, etc.) needs to be distributed via other
> means.  I believe NIS is most commonly used, but I've heard LDAP
> mentioned as well.

What I've done is have on each client machine a /etc/passwd.base, and in
/afs a passwd.footer file; a cron job periodically combines them into
/etc/passwd.

Maybe not the most official solution in the world, but so far it seems to
be working fine.

--
Phone: +64-9-373-7599 x4679     Room: 2.316, E&EE Dept, School of Engineering
 Work: jj.walker@auckland.ac.nz Home: jamiew@clear.net.nz