[OpenAFS] running processes in afs space

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery@ece.cmu.edu
Tue, 10 Jul 2001 19:12:59 -0400

On Tuesday, July 10, 2001 19:01:10 -0400, Nicholas Basila
<nbasila@bottlecapnotes.com> wrote:
+-----
| I'm going to be running a perforce server in afs space, and I was
+--->8

Since perforce is client-server anyway, I'd think that a stunningly bad
idea.

|     Assuming that I have a unix uid called perforce, and created an
| equivalent afs uid and a write-able volume for it: Do I have to have a
| script that first gets a token as the perforce user (hard coded
| password) or is there a better way? I could, of course, become the
+--->8

You have an even bigger problem:  the token will expire eventually (the
default is 25 hours).

We solve that problem, in the cases where it must be solved (i.e. not stuff
that's already client-server) in either of two ways:

- use "reauth" (source freely available from Transarc) for one-shots;

- since we have an actual Kerberos infrastructure instead of the kaserver,
we use a background process and ksrvtgt+aklog from a srvtab to get and
periodically refresh tokens.  (This *can* be done with a kaserver, but it's
more painful because you have to create the srvtab manually --- kas doesn't
know how to create one.)

--
brandon s. allbery  [os/2][linux][solaris][freebsd]   allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator   [JAPH][WAY too many hats]        allbery@ece.cmu.edu